St. James the Less is one of five churches, ( Aveton Gifford, Bigbury, Kingston, Modbury, and Ringmore), working together in the South Hams as the Modbury Team Ministry.
Our rector, Revd Matthew Roland lives in The Vicarage, Church Lane, Modbury. Tel 01548 830260. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please could you avoid contacting the Vicarage between 4.30-7pm which is tea and bedtime for the children! Matt’s day off is Saturday. He is married to Louise, a nurse, and has 3 children, he takes one Communion service a month in Kingston on the third Sunday, but is available as above and is often to be seen in the parish.
Services at Kingston take place on the first four Sundays of the month, the fifth Sunday is a team service and rotates among the 5 churches in the team. There are two Holy Communion services, on the first Sunday in the month at 9.30am led by Revd. Ken Bromage and the third Sunday at 11 am led by Revd. Matt Rowland. Family services on the second and fourth Sunday start at 9.30am.
Special services and other events are listed under ‘Whats On’, in the Kingston Parish Newsletter, on the Church noticeboard and on www.modburyteam.org
Contact details are as follows:
Churchwardens: Prof.Brian Alloway, (church services, health and safety, data protection) and Robert Beard (fabric and churchyard maintenance)
Secretary: Prof.Brian Alloway
Treasurer: Jacky Coleman-Smith ,
Safeguarding: Margaret Birch (children) and Judy Alloway ( vulnerable adults) Charles Pitman ( Diocesan Safeguarding Officer)
History of the Church. Part of a royal manor in the 9th century, Kingston was a daughter Church of Ermington until the 20th century. Consecrated for baptisms, marriages and all sacramental rites, it was not until the beginning of the 15th century that burials were permitted. Approval for this was granted after the parishioners had complained to the Bishop of Exeter that they had to carry the bodies for internment to Ermington ‘’with great inconvenience’’. In 1934 Kingston became a daughter church of Ringmore. In 2005 the parish of Ringmore with Kingston was divided into two separate District Church Councils by means of a scheme under the Church Representation Rules. The new Parish of Kingston came into being on May 1st 2013 and St James the Less became a Parish Church after approximately 600 years.
The oldest part of the Grade II* listed building, ( Heritage Gateway no. MDV15231), may date from the late 13th century. Originally cruciform in plan, it was altered early in the 15th century to incorporate the arcaded north aisle. Some windows date from this period. The south porch is of architectural interest and has the original heavy oak door, possibly erected in the 14th century when the tracery on some of the windows was created. The granite font is also of special interest as there are not many of this type to be found in Devon. It is reported to be late 15th century, but some suggest it is from an earlier period. The south aisle (now the vestry) may have been a chantry chapel of the Ashford and Wise families of Wonwell, as they were responsible for its upkeep. In the 17th century it was divided from the nave by a wooden screen displaying the arms of both families.
The church originally had a peal of four bells, the oldest of which dates from 1430. In 1979 the bells were retuned and two new ones added. These were dedicated in 1980 by the Bishop of Totnes. The bells play an important role in the life of the village, rung on occasions for rejoicing and tolling for the dead. During the World War II they were silenced so they could be used for warning of invasion. Later they were used to summon the volunteers who manned the Kingston Branch of the Fire and Rescue Service.
During the 18th century services were very irregular and the Church itself was in a dangerously neglected state. Despite extensive repairs during the 19th century, it was decided in 1891 that a complete restoration was urgently needed. After major fund raising activities, work started the following year under the direction of the Plymouth architect Edmund H.Sedding. The builders were W. Triggs of Kingston and J. Lukecraft of Aveton Gifford. There was sufficient work completed for the Bishop of Exeter to re-open the Church amid great celebrations in 1893, although the restoration was not completed until 1914.
There is a Grade ll listed Cross, (Heritage Gateway no.MDV4857) in the Churchyard retaining some early medieval elements, but mainly restored in 1902, with an inscription linked to the coronation of Edward V11.
The Friends of St James the Less was established in 2015. The Friends is aimed at the wider community who have an interest in the survival of the Church in Kingston, its history and traditions and as a community resource, as well as a place of worship.
Our Friends help us to raise funds for the preservation of the fabric of the building, its furnishings and the upkeep of the Churchyard. The Friends is run through a sub-committee of the Parochial Church Council including three members nominated by the PCC.
Friends meet socially and are kept up to date on Church activities. Further information can be found in the Church including application forms and and from Don Kelly
Kingston War Memorials. The free standing Memorial in the Churchyard, Grade II listed, is inscribed with the names of those who died in both World Wars and the Malayan Campaign. In addition there are three memorials inside the Church including a list of all 54 parishioners who served in WW1. Full details are attached HERE. The War memorial was cleaned and the lettering repainted in July 2014 with support from the The War Memorial Trust, the Bigbury, Ringmore & Kingston branch of the Royal British Legion ( now closed), and Richard & Alison Sanderson.
Kingston Parish Church is open every day of the year from approximately 9am until dusk. Services are held regularly, see above, and there is an active community programme held around the church calendar and linked to village activities. We have a wonderful peal of six bells and a thriving bell ringing team. Dedicated teams of volunteers keep our Church clean, well maintained and beautifully decorated with flowers.
Further Information. Information from the Church Registers and lists of other historical documents are available through the Kingston Local History Society, KLHS, as well as a detailed survey of the gravestones and memorials in the church by local resident, W. (Bill) Scarrett and documents relating to the church bells. Kingston Local History
The Kingston Parochial Church Council supports the Purple Angel The global symbol of dementia awareness