The Reading Room (Registered Charity No. 300882)
Exciting new possibilities for improving the Reading Room as announced in January’s Newsletter.
Click on the link for more information:
Newsletter Article with full plans
Newsletter Article with zoomed-in plans
Existing plans: Upstairs Downstairs
Option A: Upstairs Downstairs
Option B: Upstairs Downstairs
Option C: Upstairs Downstairs
Option D: Upstairs Downstairs
Option E: Upstairs Downstairs
Option F: Upstairs Downstairs
These are sketches of initial ideas, so we would really like your comments and suggestions. Please email them to the Reading Room Treasurer at email@example.com
The Reading Room was ‘founded by Conveyance on 10 February 1912’. It was converted from almshouses to provide facilities for the education of parishioners. Later it was extended to provide a kitchen, WCs and downstairs rooms and facilities and became the focus for community activity generally. It now acts as the village hall and a centre for community groups, as well as providing a venue for a range of social activities, including hire by parishioners and others. The regular Tuesday Morning Market is also held in the Reading Room. There is ramp access, a disabled toilet and a hearing loop, full details are given in this summary Access Statement.
The Reading Room is a village facility for all to use, subject to booking conditions being met.
Kingston Reading Room Hall Hire
The Reading Room consists of a Main Hall with ceiling mounted projector and screen, audio visual system and stage lighting at the Church end. The Main Hall has seating for 88, standing room for 120 and folding tables to seat around 60 and lower tables for children. There is a fully fitted kitchen with cooker, sink, microwave, fridge and coffee making equipment. The hall is wheelchair accessible with an accessible toilet on the same floor as the hall.
Downstairs are separate Ladies and Gents Toilets, a small meeting room and a store room.
Booking enquiries to Rusty, firstname.lastname@example.org
Approved by the Reading Room Management Committee, 10 December 2019.
The Reading Room was registered as Charity number 300882 on 30 January 1940. The building is owned by the Parish Council, who act as a holding or custodian trustee. Its day to day management is carried out by the Management Committee, which meets a minimum of four times a year including the Annual General Meeting. The Committee is made up of representatives of all the village user groups (see Clubs/Societies page). As well as overseeing the general maintenance of the building, the Committee raises funds. The main fundraising event is now the Grand Draw which is run in conjunction with Kingston Fun Day in August and a 200 club which is run from October to September with monthly draws sharing the ticket sales with the Reading Room. The 200 club rules are here.